Three Arrested for Shooting in Kill Devil Hills

Posted By on July 29, 2020

The Kill Devil Hills Police Department reports that three people were arrested earlier this week following a shooting that left a local man in the hospital.

On Tuesday, July 28, at approximately 1:45 a.m., Kill Devil Hills Police were dispatched to a 911 call concerning a shooting incident on Elizabeth City Street. The caller advised that their friend had been shot and provided a description of the vehicle being driven by the suspects.

Devlin Williams, 18, of Kill Devil Hills, was transported by his friends to Outer Banks Hospital for a gunshot injury. He was later flown to Norfolk due to the serious nature of his injuries.

The Kill Devil Hills Police Department then issued an alert for the suspect vehicle, and a vehicle matching that description was spotted by the Currituck County Sheriff’s Office. Currituck Sheriff’s deputies were able to stop the vehicle and detain the three individuals within. The individuals were identified as: Vashon Omar James II, 20, of Grandy; Harley Saelens, 19, of Lynchburg, Virginia; and Naseem James, 18, of Grandy.

Based on information gathered during the investigation there was probable cause to charge each individual with Assault With a Deadly Weapon Inflicting Serious Injury, which is a Class E Felony. Each individual was given a $35,000 secured bond.

Kill Devil Hills Police Captain J.C. Towler Jr. provided an update on the case to OBX Entertainment on Wednesday regarding concerns from neighbors in the area, stating, “As far as we have been able to determine, this was a random event in that it occurred on Elizabeth City Street. The shooting incident has nothing to do with anyone living on Elizabeth City Street or anything going on in that neighborhood. It was just happenstance that it occurred there.”

The Kill Devil Hills Police Department expressed their gratitude for the assistance of the Currituck County Sheriff’s Office and the Dare County Sheriff’s Office that provided invaluable personnel support during the investigation, and also to the telecommunicators who helped coordinate the quick and successful response to this incident.


Posted by Matt Artz

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *