Wright Brothers National Memorial Updates Entrance Fee to Support Improvements
The National Park Service (NPS) announced recently that Wright Brothers National Memorial will modify its entrance fees to provide additional funding for infrastructure and maintenance needs to enhance the visitor experience.
Effective June 1, 2018, the entrance fees to the park will be $10 per individual (16 and older). The entrance fee allows entry for one individual 16 years of age and over traveling in a private non-commercial vehicle, or with an organized non-profit group (e.g., service organization, scouts, church groups, etc.) for up to 7 consecutive days.
The Wright Brothers National Memorial Annual Pass will cost $35 starting June 1. The annual park pass allows unlimited entry to Wright Brothers National Memorial for 12 months from date of purchase for the pass holder and three adults (16 and older).
Revenue from entrance fees remains in the National Park Service and helps ensure a quality experience for all who visit. At least 80 percent of Wright Brothers National Memorial entrance fees stay in the park and are devoted to spending that supports the visitor. The park shares the other 20 percent of entry fee income with other national parks for their projects.
In response to public comments on a fee proposal released in October 2017, there will be a modest increase for all entrance fee-charging parks, rather than the higher peak-season fees initially proposed only for 17 highly-visited national parks.
“Entrance fees are vital to addressing infrastructure needs and helping to improve visitor experiences at Wright Brothers National Memorial,” said Superintendent David Hallac.
National parks have experienced record breaking visitation, with more than 1.5 billion visitors in the last five years. Throughout the country, the combination of an aging infrastructure and increased visitation has put a strain on park roads, bridges, campgrounds, waterlines, bathrooms, and other visitor services and led to a $11.6 billion deferred maintenance backlog nationwide.
Entrance fees collected by the National Park Service totaled $199.9 million in Fiscal Year 2016. The NPS estimates that once fully implemented, the new fee structure will increase annual entrance fee revenue by about $60 million.
Wright Brothers National Memorial has had an entrance fee since 1939. The current rate of $7 per person has been in effect since 2015. The park is one of 117 National Park Service site that charges an entrance fee, the other 300 national parks will remain free to enter.
The price of the annual America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Annual Pass and Lifetime Senior Pass will remain $80.
The National Park Service has a standardized entrance fee structure, composed of four groups based on park size and type. Wright Brothers National Memorial is one of 43 sites in group 1. Some parks not yet aligned with the other parks in their category will raise their fees incrementally and fully incorporate the new entrance fee schedule by January 1, 2020.
The fee schedule will change according to the following:
Current – $7 Per Individual (16 and older) – $30 Park Specific Annual Pass
June 1, 2018 – $10 Per Individual (16 and older) – $35 Park Specific Annual Pass
For more Outer Banks entertainment news, follow @obxe.