Hatteras Wildlife Protection Environmental Assessment Released
Cape Hatteras National Seashore (Seashore) released today, for public review, the Seashore plan which reviews wildlife protection buffers for public access.
This environmental assessment (EA), prepared in compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act, will be open for review and comment for 15 days from April 29 – May 14, 2015.
This plan was prepared in response to the recently passed legislation in the Defense Authorization Act of Fiscal Year 2015 (Public Law 113-291) pertaining to the Seashore’s Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) Management Plan.
During the preparation of the plan, the Seashore reviewed and evaluated a number of scientific studies. A compilation of the evaluation of those scientific studies is also being released along with the EA.
Seashore staff will conduct the following five public meetings to provide information on the EA:
- May 4, 2015, 6-8 PM – Ocracoke School, 1 Schoolhouse Road
Ocracoke Island, NC 27960
- May 5, 2015, 6-8 PM – Cape Hatteras Secondary School, 48576 Hwy 12, Buxton, NC 27920
- May 6, 2015, 6-8 PM – McKimmon Conference & Training Center, 1101 Gorman Street, NC State University Campus, Raleigh, NC 27695
- May 7, 2015, 6-8 PM – Embassy Suites Hampton Inn, 1700 Coliseum Drive, Hampton, VA 23666
- May 8, 2015, 6-8 PM – Hilton Garden Inn, 5353 N Virginia Dare Trail, Kitty Hawk, NC 27949
The EA is available for review and comment at: http://parkplanning.nps.gov/caha.
Select the “Review and Adjustment of Wildlife Protection Buffers” link to view the scoping documents. Comments can also be mailed to: Superintendent, Cape Hatteras National Seashore, 1401 National Park Drive, Manteo, NC 27954.
To ensure your comments are included in this process, they must be entered into the above referenced website or postmarked by May 14, 2015. Comments will not be accepted by fax, email, social media or in any other manner than those specified above. Bulk comments in hard copy or electronic formats submitted on behalf of others will not be accepted.