Kentucky Man Dies in Pamlico Sound Kayak Accident
A Kentucky man died this week in an apparent kayak accident in the Pamlico Sound off of Hatteras Island.
On Tuesday, Aug. 3, a 20-year-old male from Louisville, Kentucky died after a kayak he was in capsized near Cape Hatteras National Seashore’s Haulover Sound Access, located between the villages of Avon and Buxton on Hatteras Island.
- A kayak carrying the 20-year-old male and two other individuals capsized in the Pamlico Sound.
- Two out of three of the kayakers made it safely out of the water.
- At 1:37 p.m. on Aug. 3, the 20-year-old was reported missing and a search for his body ensued.
- Hatteras Island Rescue Squad, National Park Service rangers, Dare County Emergency Medical Services, and the Dare County Sheriff’s Office responded to the incident.
- The search for the missing kayaker ended after the Hatteras Island Rescue Squad located and retrieved his body with help from a visiting rescue diver. Their quick and professional response to this tragic incident is greatly appreciated by Cape Hatteras National Seashore.
No further details are available.