Outer Banks Veterans Week Events Announced
The Dare County Arts Council and the Outer Banks Visitors Bureau have announced a new partnership to promote Veterans Day throughout the second week of November, as Outer Banks Veterans Week, sponsored by PNC Bank, will play host to a myriad of honorary celebrations for veterans and active duty service members.
The centerpiece of Outer Banks Veterans Week is a concert to raise arts programming funds for veterans. On Friday, November 14, The Lost Colony, the Dare County Arts Council, and the Dare County Veterans Advisory Council, will host Billboard Chart-topping North Carolina-based bluegrass artists, Nu-Blu, at The Lost Colony’s Sound Stage Theater for a night of music under the stars.
The Outer Banks Veterans Writing Project is a free two-day writing workshop taught by veterans, for veterans and active duty service members. Led by Ron Capps, a combat veteran and professional writer and the instructor of the DC-based Veterans Writing Project, participants will receive a course curriculum, instruction, and one-on-one guidance.
Veterans will be encouraged to continue working on their projects after the seminar, and to submit their work for publication in the Veteran Writing Project’s Literary Journal: O-Dark Thirty. The program takes place at the UNC Coastal Studies Institute in Wanchese,November 15-16, from 9am to 5pm. Past participants are welcome and encouraged to register.
Registration information for the workshop can be found online here.
Additional Outer Banks Veterans Week activities include:
– VFW Cookout Fundraiser – November 1, 12:00p | First Flight Lions Club, 2706 N. Croatan Hwy, Kill Devil Hills | Sponsored by VFW Post 10950 | Free admission
– A Salute to Veterans: An Original Drama – November 8, 7:00p | Manteo First Assembly, 812 Wingina Street, Manteo | (252) 473-5646 | Free admission
– Candlelighting to Honor, Remember and Care – November 9, 2:00p | St. Andrews By-The-Sea, 4212 S Virginia Dare Trail, Nags Head | Sponsored by GEM Adult Day Services | (252) 480-3354 | Free admission
– Marine Corp Birthday Luncheon – November 10, 12:00p | The Currituck Club, 620 Currituck Clubhouse Drive, Corolla | $17.50 per person includes lunch, non-alcoholic beverages & dessert | RSVP required (252) 564-9225
– Veterans Day Celebration for Dare County Veterans – November 10, 1:00p | Dare County Center, 950 Marshall C Collins Dr, Manteo | Sponsored by The Dare County Center, Monarch Beach Club and the American Legion Post 26 | Lunch is free for veterans, RSVP by calling 252-475-9270 by Friday, October 31st
– Veterans Day Ceremony – November 11, 11:30a | Dare County Veterans Memorial, 300 Queen Elizabeth Avenue, Manteo | Sponsored by American Legion Post 26
– Veterans Day Ceremony – November 11, 12:30p | Veterans Drive, Kill Devil Hills | Sponsored by American Legion Post 26
– Veterans Day Ceremony – November 11, 11:00a | 5401 S. Croatan Hwy, Nags Head | Sponsored by The Town of Nags Head
General admission tickets are $12 in advance and $18 at the door ($12 at door with a military ID). Gold Circle preferred seating is available for $30 per ticket.
Proceeds from ticket sales are used to support veterans programs including the Outer Banks Veterans Writing Project.
Tickets are now on sale and may be purchased online at online here.
The Arts Council is seeking volunteers to assist with grassroots marketing initiatives for Outer Banks Veterans Week including hanging posters and placing flyers, sharing the events through social media, as well as securing several people to help at the concert. Volunteers will receive free admission to the concert on November 14th at the Lost Colony.